[MPlayer-users] DeCSS, Sorenson and legality

Alex Kloss klossa at stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 7 09:10:04 CET 2001

> Hi,
>
> > some days ago DeCSS was getting legal software ...
>
> sure? how? links?

There were some articles about the DeCSS author winning the process against
the CCA so that 1. only in USA 2. only the distribution of the sources (not
the usage) was proven legal because of the freedom of speech and 3. wasn't
this the last instance. Only thing is, the CCA possibly can't efford more
processes due to their decreasing popularity... At least, I hope so.

In most other countries both to write or to use (or both) is illegal.

> > so it's allowed to write such software etc ...
It's only allowed to write it, not to use it, mind!

> hmm.
> and what about sorenson? :)
You can write the sources for watching sorenson on your own machine. Bad
thing is, you may only use them legally, if Apple permits so...

Alex
--
Since I'm studying laws, you may ask me in such cases...