[MPlayer-users] arbitrary file location seeks & "remote" control?

Kees Cook kees at outflux.net
Fri Nov 2 18:14:34 CET 2001

This is probably more of a feature request than anything else, but I think
I lack a really indepth knowledge of how mplayer works internally.
Here's what I'd like to do:

I've written a GOP-accurate MPEG2 editor, and I use stock mpeg2dec
right now to render individual GOPs.  I'd like to be able to use mplayer
to play them (that way I'd have proper framerate, audio, and av sync).

The first problem is controlling mplayer from another application.  I
figure that since lirc works, this wouldn't be hard for me to hack.

The second problem is telling mplayer "start playing at file position X,
and stop when you get to Y".  From what I can tell, all the seek
interfaces are time-based (as they should be for a player).

How possible would it be to do file position seeks?

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net