[MPlayer-users] files in ftp/incoming

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Thu Nov 1 22:38:25 CET 2001

> > contain some hints about video hardware .. like 'nvidia baad, matrox
> when updating one's kernel)? Am I about to suffer with baad problems when I
> install and try using mplayer?
you won't.
 But there are areas where nvidia is a little bit behind, things like
picture quality ( i think. haven't seen geforce3 ) and open source
drivers/ support. Matrox is probably waaay behing nvidia and ati in 3D
stuff, and it's also quite expensive - at least here.
 I got the impression that ATI can be a golden choice (rule? - paron my
english ), with good picture quality, some drivers ( if arpi gets ati_vid
done that would probably boost quality and speed a little when it comes to
movies ), and quite good 3D.
 Nvidia would be the cheapest and fastest 3D, low picture quality but they
produce their own drivers for linux/X - good thing, but releasing specs
would be better. i.e. - nvidia 'binary shit' on some medium-high end
system produces video quality way lower that my low-end system with g450.
and g450 would be 'baad' since matrox keeps it specs secret, and last
decent card was g400.
 All and all all these are just my opinions, and I am in no way expert,
but it would be nice to have some data collected from people that don't
count 'fps' but picture quality and eye strain... i imagine the easiest
way to find such data would be mplayer users, who could confirm or not
those shaky statements above.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu