[Mplayer-users] (no subject)

Gabucino gabucino at k2.jozsef.kando.hu
Tue May 29 19:14:54 CEST 2001

It's the Question that drives us, mgraffam at idsi.net :
> > Btw. If we are using older mpglib version (which was GPL), then can we
> > distribute it as GPL?
> I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it: yes. Generally, if the licensing
> scheme changes, older versions can be used under either license (choice
> is the user's). IIRC this is spelled out for the GPL and LGPL on fsf.org
> somewhere.
Thx!

Relevant info from fsf.org :

    I heard that someone got a copy of a GPL'ed program under another license.
    Is this possible?

        The GNU GPL does not give users permission to attach other licenses
        to the program. But the copyright holder for a program can release it
        under several different licenses in parallel. One of them may be the
        GNU GPL.

   The license that comes in your copy, assuming it was put in by the
   copyright holder and that you got the copy legitimately, is the license
   that applies to your copy.                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another :

    Can the developer of a program who distributed it under the GPL later
    license it to another party for exclusive use?

        No, because the public already has the right to use the program under
        the GPL, and this right cannot be withdrawn.

So Hipp seems to do the Bad Thing :

   However, if the developer does something that would violate the GPL if
   done by someone else, the developer will surely lose moral standing in the
   community.

--
Gabucino