[Mplayer-users] Postprocessing performance

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 22 11:55:17 CEST 2001

Hi,

> >It's normal. Even on my p3-900 i can use only -pp 2 for large size divx
> >files. It uses many CPU power, as described in the docs.
> >(image postprocessing, filtering was never a fast thing)
> >
> What is the difference between 1, 2, 4. What does this number mean. I
We don't know. Ask micro$oft... as divx codec (a.k.a M$-mpeg4v3) isn't
opensource, we know nothing about its internals.

maybe 1 is single-pass and 2-4 are multipass filters, but it's just my
suspection, nothing fact.

> imagine -- bigger number = slower perofrmance & better quality but I'd
yes.

btw in most cases output with -pp 2 and -pp 4 is equal, i mean byte-to-byte
matching. there is small difference with some frames, but no visible
difference only few bits in data.

> like to know what it means exactly...
me too.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team