[Mplayer-users] Fwd: subtitles

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 15 19:44:50 CEST 2001

Hi,

> >is there -audiofps
> [...]
> >> There's -fps switch to change videos framerate.
> >kewl kewl, I know, it's just that video i playing just fine.
>
> No, you can't change audio-rate at the moment, because that would
> need to up/downsample audio, which is not possible with mplayers sound system
> at the moment. Do I remember correctly, Arpi?
yes. and i don't know how to do that. we need some linear or better
interpolation, or just use nearest-neighbour algo for up/downsample?

> However, would it be possible to just _play_ audio with a different
> bitrate (shifting frequencies, but 24<->25 is not that much)
unfortunately most cards/drivers supports only standard frequencies,
like 8k, 12k, 16k, 22050, 24000, 32000?, 44100 ad 48000
(there is a complete list in OSS.pdf)

> The problem is in the TODO-file (as "urgent"), but not in the README...
Too much things are there under "urgent" :(
We need much more developers or much more time.
Maybe we should re-sample a day to about 240 hours/day :)

> If audio/video are not in sync (and it's not because of CPU pwer and
> -fps doesn't help) then it may be because encoded audio is 48000kHz and
> your soundcard doesn't support that. You have no chance correcting that at
> the moment, even with the "However..." not.
With new audio playback and sync code, +-10% speed difference should be
handled without problems (and without any extra options like -fps).
48k->44.1k is about 9%, so it must work.

With the new audio code there shouldn't be A-V sync problems _*BEFORE*_
first pause/seek. pause/seek must be reworked, it takes some time for me.

If you have A-V sync prob without pause/seek, then your system is too slow.
If you see that last number in teh status line increasing, it means that
frames should be dropped for realtime synced playback. If it's constant 0,
and you still have A-V desyncing, then try -bps or -ni, and if it still
not ok, then make a bugreport as described in DOCS.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu