[Mplayer-users] recording tool?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 15 15:22:58 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:04:06PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > check ffmpeg.
> > it's planned to be integrated in the (near?) future.
>
> I hope there will be standard tool for capture in mplayer, which can record in
> any format,
yes, this is why i like ffmpeg. it already support writting to avi, asf, rm,
mpeg etc, and even streaming them over http if you want.
and it has some very good realtime encoder for various mpeg variants,
including realtime opendivx encoder (yes, worse quality then 'encore',
but it's for recording only, you can grab at higher bitrate (1600 kbit
is usually ok for vhs quality) and later you can recompress it).

> because there is still no good recording tool for Linux - xawtv is
yes, because xawtv doesn't use compression.

> too bad in performance, mp1e and fame looks dead, the only promising
> application is NuppelVideo...
hmm. i've never heard about that nuppel... thing.

> mplayer is amazing in playing, next step should be recording :-)
no. next step is encoding, third is watching tv and finally we can
add encoding from tv.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu