[Mplayer-users] compile error

Armin Schindler mac at melware.de
Sat May 12 18:57:39 CEST 2001

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > when I try to compile mplayer, I get the follwing error,
> > even with the latest cvs snapshot :
> >
> > gcc    -c -o downmix/downmix_i386.o downmix/downmix_i386.S
> > /tmp/ccYFao5R.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccYFao5R.s:244: Error: no such 386 instruction: `filds'
> > make[1]: *** [downmix/downmix_i386.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/KFIR/mplayer/MPlayer-0.17a_IdegCounter/libac3'
> > make: *** [libac3/libac3.a] Error 2
> >

> > Is there something wrong with my configuration or is
> > it really a bug (I do not know much about assembler).
>
> you have very old binutils installed.
> it's a known problem, but it should be detected by ./configure
> and fallback to .c version... strange.

./configure told me that I have old binutils, so I upgraded them
to 2.11 and there was no warning from .configure any more, but
the above error appeared.
Is it possible, that configure detects the new binutils, but
actually the old ones are used somehow ? Which version of
gcc for example should be right ?

Armin