[Mplayer-users] new audio code in CVS

Goran Koruga goran.koruga at hermes.si
Thu May 10 10:51:52 CEST 2001

On Thu, May 10 2001, Arpi wrote:

Hi,

it works nicely for me too. I had to use ./configure --without-select
before. It also suddenly started playing AVIs, old code always died with
signal 4 (SIGILL).

It also properly enables DPMS when exiting, unlike older version.

Good work.

Cheers,
Goran

> Hi,
>
> I've just commited the new audio code of mplayer.
>
> Changes:
> - audio playback rewritten, using OSS specs (should be more standard)
> - does not use select(), but uses ioctl()'s (SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE,GETODELAY)
>   => much precise timing!!! (if card&driver supports it...)
> - PTS correction is now in the demuxer (see ds_tell_pts())
> - input bitrate (bytes/sec) is calculated & stored in sh_audio_t struct
> - option '-alsa' no more used, it always uses usleep()
>
> Now for most precise timing it summarizes all delays:
> - delay in demuxer buffers (handled by ds packets)
> - pts correction (ds_tell_pts())
> - compressed bytes in the a_in_buffer  (ACM/DShow)
> - uncompressed bytes in the a_buffer  (everything, except PCM+aLaw)
> - buffered bytes in the audio card's/DMA buffer. (ioctl GETODELAY)
>
> I got <10ms error for most mpg, avi and asf files, it's very good.
> But VOB seems to be broken, at least it's about +-200ms :((( I'll fix it.
>
> Seeking not tested, and not finished, do not report bugs about it.
> I'll finish it very soon.
>
> Frame dropping disabled!
> (it will be implemented later, this hack didn't work for most users)
>
> I'm interested in results, so is it better or worse than before,
> are your audio problems solved etc. Please all the time include mplayer -v
> output, it prints many new information about audio card and driver!
>
> Do not report problems about seeking (including A-V sync problems _after_
> seek), as I said above, it isn't finished yet.
>

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
> --
> mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
> http://esp-team.scene.hu

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
    -- Frank Zappa