[Mplayer-users] new audio code in CVS

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu May 10 05:56:43 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've just commited the new audio code of mplayer.

Changes:
- audio playback rewritten, using OSS specs (should be more standard)
- does not use select(), but uses ioctl()'s (SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE,GETODELAY)
  => much precise timing!!! (if card&driver supports it...)
- PTS correction is now in the demuxer (see ds_tell_pts())
- input bitrate (bytes/sec) is calculated & stored in sh_audio_t struct
- option '-alsa' no more used, it always uses usleep()

Now for most precise timing it summarizes all delays:
- delay in demuxer buffers (handled by ds packets)
- pts correction (ds_tell_pts())
- compressed bytes in the a_in_buffer  (ACM/DShow)
- uncompressed bytes in the a_buffer  (everything, except PCM+aLaw)
- buffered bytes in the audio card's/DMA buffer. (ioctl GETODELAY)

I got <10ms error for most mpg, avi and asf files, it's very good.
But VOB seems to be broken, at least it's about +-200ms :((( I'll fix it.

Seeking not tested, and not finished, do not report bugs about it.
I'll finish it very soon.

Frame dropping disabled!
(it will be implemented later, this hack didn't work for most users)

I'm interested in results, so is it better or worse than before,
are your audio problems solved etc. Please all the time include mplayer -v
output, it prints many new information about audio card and driver!

Do not report problems about seeking (including A-V sync problems _after_
seek), as I said above, it isn't finished yet.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu