[Mplayer-users] Feature request: Audio amplifier

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 12 06:18:45 CET 2001

Hi,

> I don't know how people do that but I've no divx movie with the same
> audio level!
>
> Then when I have to whatch one I need to set PCM and VOL to MAX, and
> it's not nice when a new mail arrives and biff sounds... hehe
>
> So, the feature that would be nice would be to use the '+' and '-' (or
> any other) keys to use an 'internal' audio amplifier in mplayer, so,
> code an audio amplifier inside mplayer to adjust the audio level when
> watchinga movie. And add mplayer --aulevel=15 ;oP
>
> I don't know if it's possible, i've never programed on audio/video,
Basicly it's possible. There are two ways:
1. say to the codec to use this level. it depends on codecs, some
  codecs allow changing volume while playing, some allows initial
  audio level at init, and some doesn't allow it at all.
2. resample audio after decoding - works everywhere but eats some cpu
  and maybe has some quality loss.

> maybe I should start on it, any good place (web) to start in? (C/C++)
It's (the 2. way) very simple :)
new_sample=old_smaple*aulevel;

maybe adding some range-checking to avoid overflows.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu