[Mplayer-users] mplayer questions, remarks, etc

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Wed Mar 7 10:03:53 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Arpi wrote:

> It's already done (partially, just for testing its possible).
> Check 'make tvision' and then the tvision binary.
> I'll add realtime video compression from v4l, using ffmpeg.

Ah.. cool!

> > The other request is to be able to specify what resolution we want
> > "fullscreen mode" to be, and then have mplayer switch X into that
> > resolution, and scale the movie accordingly.
> We don't know how to change X resolution. Any ideas? Code example?
> Patch for libvo?

I don't know exactly how to do it myself -- but I know it can be done.
Quake 3 does it. But it basically just simulates Control-Alt +/-  (the
X virtual screen size is still in effect) .. if you trap the mouse within
mplayer window boundries you can avoid the panning around the screen and
having the movie off-center, which is annoying.

But all that is pretty ugly. Q3 doesn't know about the XVidMode extension
that is new in XF-4.0 and that SHOULD be a much cleaner way to do it.

I'm not familiar with the libvo code, so I can't promise a patch, but
I'll see if I can't come up with a code example.

Time to crawl around xfree86.org ..

hmm.. maybe being down with a nasty cold has its advantages -- sure, my
head is throbbing and I'm miserable, but I can't sleep anyhow and I'm
not going to work so I have loads of free time :)

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;