[Mplayer-users] mplayer questions, remarks, etc

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Wed Mar 7 08:53:47 CET 2001

hello everyone ..

First, let me say that I am now a loyal mplayer user. IMO, it is the
best viewer for linux -- there is nothing else to be said.

In the grand tradition of making good things great, I have an idea
or two for future additions to mplayer.

First: grabbing video from V4L devices. Mplayer wouldn't need all the
cruft for changing TV stations and what have you -- this can be set up
with command line tools prior to launching mplayer if need be. I see
this more as a clean way for playing content that comes from an external
DVD player or other video sources.

All mplayer has to do is grab the stream from /dev/video and deal with it.
Maybe waiting for the V4L2 spec would be best on this. Alternatively,
if/when the GUI gets merged into mplayer, the GUI code can just be a
frontend to the command-line tools to set up the V4L devices. This seems
cleanest IMO, as it lessens the load on mplayer as far as code updates.
Mplayer would transparently adopt any stability and features that the v4l
tools bring to the table.

Such ability seems to have a natural place if ffmpeg is getting merged in
to allow a/v encoding. It's nice to see what it is you're encoding.

The other request is to be able to specify what resolution we want
"fullscreen mode" to be, and then have mplayer switch X into that
resolution, and scale the movie accordingly.

Those two features are the only things I can think of .. I'm sure I'll
get surprised and blownaway by the .12 release though.

As far as the .11 release goes, though, I have a question: how can
I enable the DGA driver? I want to play around with it a bit.

Thanks.

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;