[Mplayer-users] slow sound

Greg Hennessy gsh at cox.rr.com
Wed Jun 27 03:13:28 CEST 2001

I just found mplayer, and am trying to use to to play a SVCD I have. I
have a 233 mhz K6. This version has no mtrr. I have a Voodoo3 card,
and am runnign redhat 7.1 with XFree86 4.1.0. I can get the vcd to
play, but it has annoying pauses that make it functionally
unusuable. While I know my cpu is slow by today's standards, I don't
think I'm having cpu problems, since top shows that I generally have 8
to 12 percent idle. If I try running xmovie -vo null, I also hear the
pauses, at about one hertz, and the led on the cdrom blinks at the
same rate. If I try xmovie -nosound, the led on the cdrom is on
constantly, and the picture appears fine. I think there is some bad
interactoin with the soundcard (a generic sb clone) or the esd sound
deamon on gnome.

Can anyone offer any advice?