[Mplayer-users] stopid question?

Martin Aumueller lists at reserv.at
Fri Jun 22 03:38:58 CEST 2001

On 21. Juni 2001 Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:45:55PM -0700, Matt Moore wrote:
> > i installed mplayer and all seemed to go well.
> >
> > after install i used the command "mplayer" and it says
> > "bash: mplayer: command not found "
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> I hope it's a joke ...

Hi!

If the binary mplayer is actually in your $PATH and has its executable bits
set then the most likely reason for this error to occur is that the needed
dynamic linker is not present on your system. Perhaps /lib/ld-linux.so.1 or
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 is missing. And then you would get this seemingly strange
error...

Did you compile your mplayer yourself? Then your build environment is probably
fucked up in a strange way.

Did you download some binary package for mplayer (I don't know if such a
thing exists)?  Then virtually the only way that this can happen is that
 you are running a really outdated distribution not yet based on glibc
(/lib/libc.so.6) and downloaded package for a current distribution or
vice versa.

Martin