[Mplayer-users] offtopic: realplayer format

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Jun 19 23:28:35 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:30:33PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> we can support cram/cvid using the win32 stuff, but it isn't too
> usefull, this is why qt/mov support has very very low priority on
> our TODO. Supporting Sorenson codec is impossible.

Not impossible just very hard ;-) Someone should crack that stuff :)

> As someone answered a week ago, there is no codecs available. you can
> try to crack the lib*.so files of the binary-only realplayer and hack
> it to mplayer, but
> 1, it's illegal

BTW, is it legal to use dll's?

> 2, we aren't skilled crackers, so we can't do it
>
> You have to wait until someone (like Eugene in avifile team) find a
> solution, write an emulation environment and plugin loader to make
> those libs usable with mplayer or other players.

Hmmm. I've just realized that KDE's konqueror CAN use netscape's plugins.
And yes it's working (real content playing inside browser window, flash
plugin etc). Since the source of KDE is free we would be able to do it ;-)
[ehhh it's C++ ...]

So, let's support rm ;-))

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!