[Mplayer-users] offtopic: realplayer format

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 19 18:30:33 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Jacek [iso-8859-2] Pop³awski wrote:
>
> > I know it will be possible to support quicktime, there is
> > quicktime4linux, and qt/mov is in mplayer TODO, but what about
>
> Only older movies.
that quicktime4linux stuff from heroine is ok only for uncompressed
files. so it' sunusable in real-life. most qtmov files uses cvid/cram
(old files) or the sorenson codec (most new file).
we can support cram/cvid using the win32 stuff, but it isn't too
usefull, this is why qt/mov support has very very low priority on
our TODO. Supporting Sorenson codec is impossible.

> > realplayer? Is it any tool to convert .rm to something useful? is it
>
> No. Once you have an .rm file, you can do three things with it: watch it
> with realplayer, extract the sound with some special tricks (substituting
> the sound device), and throw the file away.
>
> > any player except binary realplay ?
>
> There's text-mode thing called trplayer (on freshmeat), but a) it's
> an audio only player; b) it requires full realplayer installed.

As someone answered a week ago, there is no codecs available. you can
try to crack the lib*.so files of the binary-only realplayer and hack
it to mplayer, but
1, it's illegal
2, we aren't skilled crackers, so we can't do it

You have to wait until someone (like Eugene in avifile team) find a
solution, write an emulation environment and plugin loader to make
those libs usable with mplayer or other players.

> > PS. South Park in gnutella is in .rm :-)
>
> Choose not to watch it then.
Agree.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu