[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jun 16 19:33:42 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I think the best approach is to introduce two things:
>
> 1) a ./configure option that lets the user set the architecture/cpu
> explicitly (if omitted, then the most appropriate for the current
> processor is chosen)
> 2) another ./configure option that lets the user select between
> compile-time #ifdef-style optimisation (makes faster binary for the
> particular processor) and run-time function-pointers optimisation (makes
> slower binary with all optimisation routines included, that can be run on
> any processor)
>
> That way everyone should be happy. What do you think?

double work - nothing sense.

and if you've read my benchmark about i586 vs i686 thing here, then
you know: switching some mmx/sse/3dnow optimization at runtime is not all!

compilation of the C code (-march,-mcpu) also matters A LOT!
and you can't do it with runtime pointers.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu