[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on non x86 platform

Felix von Leitner leitner at convergence.de
Thu Jun 14 01:51:31 CEST 2001

Thus spake Maksim Krasnyanskiy (maxk at qualcomm.com):
> >I have no problem with speed of ./configure (behind my p3-900+256mb :))))
> >but we know nothing about autoconf files and usage. I tried to learn it a
> >year ago, no success.
> It seems complicated in the begging but actually it's pretty simple.
> Years of developing and maintaining several projects (vtun.sf.net,
> bluez.sf.net,etc) made me autoconf fan :))

It is also complicated after you master it.

Just to make sure you actually know what you are talking about: please
point me to a project of yours with autoconf support so I can see if the
autoconf actually suck as little as possible.

In particular, if it work on little-used platforms and when
cross-compiling, particularly from one little-used platform to another
little-known platform.  And let's see if your tests are actually
portable.

You know, the more one understands of autoconf, the more complicated it
gets.  Trust me, I know it well enough to lecture on it, and I refuse to
use it in my projects because of the bloat it adds.  A hello-world style
autoconf that looks for three headers and two libraries generates >100k
configure with the current autoconf, plus >100k libtool crap if you
use libtool (I hope you don't).  And generating configure takes >4
seconds on my dual P-II w/ 400 MHz each (i.e. is completely unacceptably
slow).

Felix