[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on non x86 platform

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jun 14 00:58:45 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Actually I managed to compiled and use MPlayer on Compaq iPAQ which is (as you know) based on
> StrongARM processor. ARM is little-endian though, so I don't have any issues with endianess.
> Performance is suck of course but MPEG2 and DivX codecs work fine.
do you mean opendivx?

> Do you guys have any plans to cleanup C style ? With all respect to the authors current C style is completely unreadable.
> How about running 'indent' on all C and H sources ?
ARRRRRRRGHHH!!! (<- i think no comment needed)

Everyone has its own indenting style. Some hate those 8-wide tabs and use 2
or 4 (using tabs or spaces, variable) or 8.. etc. we don't want to change
this.

> I also noticed discussion about "configure" script. I don't intend to start a flame or something but GNU autoconf is much better.
> Well written configure.in is _much_ easier to read and modify than current shell script. And autoconf is way more flexible.
> I don't think that the speed of the configure matters. You don't run it every time before compilation.
I have no problem with speed of ./configure (behind my p3-900+256mb :))))
but we know nothing about autoconf files and usage. I tried to learn it a
year ago, no success.

It's OK to change to autoconf (!) but _ONLY_ if someone converts current
./configure script to autoconf thinggy, and after it he _MAINTAINING_IT_.
I (and other mplayer developers) don't want to learn autoconf stuff!!!
Someone with depth knowledge of it needs, because there are very complicated
tests in ./configure (much more that check of existance a file).

Btw automake really sucks, with its very long unreadable makefiles and
.libs etc subdirectories. autoconf is ok, at least I see its sense.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu