[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Mon Jun 11 21:25:53 CEST 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Arpi wrote:

> > - determining the processor type and choosing the necessary optimised
> > functions at run-time, not at compile-time (that would allow making
> > universal binaries and therefore inclusion of mplayer into distributions)
> You can't use binaries compiled with -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 on amd or 486.

Then there has to be an option for compiling to an universal instruction
set. (or better yet an option in ./configure to set an instruction set and
architecture explicitly.) By the way, do -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 give any
noticeable speed gain over plain i386 code?

> This problem can't be solved at runtime...

What I wanted to say is that this sort of thing:

#ifdef HAVE_3DNOW
#include "mmx/imdct_3dnow.c"
#else
void imdct_do_512(float data[],float delay[])
{
        int i, j;

should really be decided at runtime, not at compile time.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/