[Mplayer-users] Compiling with Red Hat 7.1

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Sat Jun 9 19:31:28 CEST 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> Felix reported that gcc-3.0 compiles mplayer without any problems with
> enabled 3dnow optimization. So 3.0 != 2.96

So maybe it's best just to wait until Red Hat includes 3.0 into RawHide
(that's Red Hat's "perpetual beta" or "bleeding edge"). And then tell
people to use that. 3.0 comes out in the middle of July afair.

> Yes - you are perfectly right. But if looks at RTFM DOCS/Requirements
> you will be able to find out that we suggest only STABLE compilers for
> mplayer compilation. But 2.96 is RH hacker toy - very buggy and
> UNOFFICIAL release.

Well, if you don't use 3DNow/MMX assembler code (and most developers
certainly don't), then it's quite usable. And it has far better C++ too.

> If you understand what you do then it's safety way - if NOT then try
> to find out in inet  2.95.3.rpm - probably on redhat.com it should be
> because they downgraded their compiler to official gcc's distribution.

No, Raw Hide contains gcc 2.96-85 currenlty, and before 2.96 they used
egcs.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/