[Mplayer-users] Very low audio volume

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Jul 28 11:02:13 CEST 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:25:41 +0200 Michael Flohr <flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> just compiled MPlayer 0.18pre. It works great.
> However, I noticed one very strange thing I can't explain.
> When playing AVI files, the sound volume is EXTREMELY low.
> Pushing master and pcm to max makes sound barely audible.

Try 0.18pre5 (or is it pre6 ?) or get it from cvs.
Things changed a lot since 0.18pre

> Playing the same files with aviplay, sound is normal, although
> overall movie quality and preformance seems to be not as good
> as MPlayer's.

I remember a time, where the movie quality was in aviplay better :-)

> Did anyone notice something similar?
> By the way: I run alsa0.5.10, but I use "-ao oss" for sound output
> since "-ao alsa5" disables sound with an error roughly like
> "alsa-init: ... invalid parameters ..."

Alsa 0.5.x is broken. I never got -ao alsa to work. If you
have time, try 0.9beta6 and tell us whether it works.
(sorry, no time to do it myself).

		Attila Kinali

--
Man who sink into womans arms soon have arms in womans sink.