[Mplayer-users] Re: ATI Radeon VE

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Jul 28 00:53:07 CEST 2001

Hi, Christoph H. Lampert!

On 2001-07-26 22:50:51 you wrote:

>Am Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2001 23:50 schrieben Sie:
>> Hi!
>>
>> My efforts are finished. I've get something workable from XFree86 :(
>> But I've found a lot of lacks and I don't know where are problems :(
>>
>> 1) After applying Suse's XFree86 I could get graphics only on "second head"
>> It's - ok from windows and linux points but some "old" DOS games which
>> use VESA (through int10h) can work only with first head so I should replug
>> monitor every time when I want to use them.
>
>Could you test TVout? Is there anything in the Docs about DVI out?
>From latest XFree86-CVS tree (was commited 1.5 day ago):

Commit ATI's driver patch for ...

                   ATI LINUX DRIVER UPDATE
                   July, 2001, ATI Technology

1. New features:
   (1) New cards: RADEON VE, RADEON MOBILITY M6, All-in-Wonder RADEON, RAGE 128 PRO ULTRA
   (2) Digital Flat Panel and LCD (VE and M6 only).
   (3) Dual-head and Xinerama (VE and M6 only).
   (4) EDID using DDC2(I2C) interface.

2. Unsupported features and known bugs:
   (1) DRI is not currently working with dual-head/Xinerama setup.
   (2) Monitor hot swapping (P&D) is not supported.
   (3) Power management is not fully implemented.
   (4) TV output is not supported.

(Note: I didn't have this CVS tree - it's too huge traffic)

>> Now about problems:
>> MPLAYER: works only -vo xv, x11, sdl:x11
>> -dga works but too strange: I've watched in window only horizontal lines
>> (like I've get overclocked vertical sync but in window :)
>> -fsdga - not found.
>
>Okay, so no DGA. Fine with me, xv is better anyway.

Winnt is enough, even!

>> Well: when I watched well famous 405.avi I've get at bottom of picture
>> several strange green lines (like on nVidia). Also I've found some strange
>> transparent diagonalled stripes which have green and pink colors.
>> But it's not problem of unquantize - on S3Virge everythink - ok).
>>
>> When I've watched DVD then in places where store is movied (even slowly)
>> I've get very crumpled pictures with horizontal jaming. (Under WinNT these
>> problems don't exist).
>>
>> AFAIK it would be better to find out solution these problems in Linux's
>> drivers, but it makes useless any video software under Linux with this
>> card.
>
>That's bad :-( Maybe you should ask the driver's developers about it?
>
>The modules should be open source, and SuSE support is not bad, either.
>Don't give up on them. These are the very first drivers that support the card
>at all. Maybe you will never see hardware MPEG functions supported in Linux
>drivers, but still the drivers will get better.
>
>And still, if you want to get rid of the card (e.g. swap again ATI
>XPer at Work..)

Do you still want to buy Radeon VE?

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-27 22:43:01)

P.S.: As for me - I hope that GPL'ed drivers with ATI support (as you could see above)
will be perfect, but as soon?
Probably I save this card for me, since I have pity on Vortex2 even now
and I don't want to feel the same in the future about this card.