[Mplayer-users] Re: video card(s)?

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Jul 27 18:14:24 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:24:13PM +0200, Mark Gjøl wrote:
> Anyway. As far as I'm concerned the drivers for nvidia-based gfx-cards
> are adequate.

I'll have to agree. I do get an occasional crash with nvidia, but that's
about once in two or three weeks and about half of them are just the X server
dying, the other half is a complete hang of video. I can usually still
log in from the net, but that doesn't help much if video can't be reset...
If the Nvidia image quality weren't shit in 1600x1200, I'd be happy with
it. Elsa Gladiac MX is the card in question, Geforce 2 MX with 32MB.

I dug out my old ATI xpert at work card (3D Rage Pro, 8MB memory, PCI) to see
what ATI support is like. Slow and buggy for this card, at least. 32-bit
color mode draws all kind of junk all over the screen when moving or
resizing a window.  Even hardware cursor is not supported in XFree86
4.0.3, and the card is from 1996 or so! Apparently that support has
finally been added in 4.1.0, I'll try that later.