[Mplayer-users] dirty ideas to speedup libMP3

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 23 14:35:51 CEST 2001

Hi Arpi,

>The only thing you can trick with, is the sampling rate.
>If you decode 44khz samples to 22khz, you can skip quantized values of
>high frequenzies. But the audio will be ugly...

Not too bad... with regular MP3 files it's quite okay. Remember, it's
cartoons and not "Jurassic Park". Anyhow if the question is "bad sound and
skipping picture" or "nice sound, but no picture at all", then the choice is
clear.

>Btw divx decoding eats >10 times more decoding than mp3, so you should
>focus on that. Maybe transcoding to mpeg1 before playing the movie? This way
>it gets about 2-4 times bigger but playable realtime even on p166mmx.

I thought so, too, but with (hard)framedropping DivX works quite fine.
Nevertheless audio percentage it up to 40-50% CPU level on non-MMX machine
P166. One these machines you need every cycle to keep video going, because
with -framedrop and too high load, picture just stops :-(

I also have some MPEGs with MP3 sound. I surely don't want to have them
twice on my hard disk...

What about the -mono business? Is that much work?

This may not be interesting to Athlon users, but there always will be
slow machines. Mplayer for Gameboy? Mplayer for microwaves? Why not?

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se