[Mplayer-users] New features...

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Sun Jul 22 22:47:43 CEST 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> Hello Gábor,
>
> Sunday, July 22, 2001, 9:42:23 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 09:25:06PM +0200, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> >> Oh yes, and a --shutup option that makes mplayer _not_ use
> >> stdout for anything. That way is will one day be possible
> >> to use stdout as output-device, like pgmpipe in mpeg2decode.
>
> > Hmmm, this sounds good. IMHO the best solution would be changing printf's
> > to mprintf or whatever ... That function would check a variable if output
> > can be used or not. And we would have got an option to write messages into
> > a specified file WHILE using stdout for output device or something similar.
> > Also that function should be WELL designed with eg categories to be able
> > to use with GUI as well without major modification of source for future
> > GUI.
>

> btw. I also thought bout something like verbose classes, let's have
> class 1 which is for main mplayer code, 2 for demuxer, 4 for ao, I
> thinkl you get the idea, so if you want to debug only demuxer and ao
> you'd use -v 6. It would make verbose output more usefull for specific
> tasks.

Okay, but 1) not -v 6, because -v is verbose and _never_ has an argument.
Take e.g. -debug 6  or -debuglevel 6

and second, don't take 6, but a binary sceme like:
0x00000001 is main function
0x00000002 is status reports (A-V etc)
0x00000004 is demux-code
0x00000008 is sync-code
0x00000010 is somethingelse
0x00000020 is somethingscompletelydiffernt

you get the general idea. That way, default may be level 0x03,
-debuglevel 0 switches of everything and 0xB make it possible to
view only demux messages (and std. output), etc.

perhaps also add a debug level, e.g.
0x00040000 is demux-debug-message (normally off)

etc.

This is a bit of work to get it straight, but it might be a big help.
As a start one might give away different bits to different source-files.

And there could be a global flag that makes mplayer print not only
the level, but also the flag under which is was called.

And who need new features anyway... writing different printfs is at least
as much fun, too. ;-)

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se