[Mplayer-users] mp4 (quicktime mov) file format

Christoph H. Lampert gruel at gmx.de
Sat Jul 21 23:30:08 CEST 2001

> > Is there support for the .mp4 QuickTime format planned? It guess it's
> > documented, there's open source stuff and examples from MPEG4IP.
>
> yes, as soon as quicktime demuxer is finished in mplayer.
>
> > Since playing MPEG4 contents is no problem, I thought I'd ask...
>
> i'm unsure... opendivx != mpeg4.
> real mpeg4 uses B frames too.

No, MPEG4 defines different profiles.

OpenDivX (and DivX4) implements the "Simple Profile" which has no B-frames.

B-frames are part of "Main Profile" (and up), but this has and many many
other things, as well. I don't know of any running codec that is compliant
with the "Main Profile". I doubt you will find any such contents at the
moment.

gruel

Christoph Lampert, gruel at gmx.de

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches. That's the way that the license works." - Steve Balmer

"Epsilon < 0" - chl