[Mplayer-users] manpage: clarifying vc/vfm ac/afm

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jul 21 23:23:16 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I just had a look to the manpage of mplayer.
> I saw that vc, vfm, ac and afm are explained there,
> but not what the difference is between them.
> (ie that one has a fallback feature and the other does not etc)
> I think that should be in the manpage too.
> I also don't understand what the exact difference between
> a codec and a codec familiy is according to the manpage.

codec is the decoder program for a given format. for example divx.

codec family is a group of such codecs, implemented by the same library.
for example, codec family is VfW, DShow and ffmpeg.

there are many format supported by codecs implemented in ffmpeg's
libavcodec.

you can select a given codec with -vc (for example: -vc ffdivx) or
a family of them (-vfm 6)

yes, we should use driver names instead of numbers with -afm/-vfm
al3x already did a patch for this, but it was rejected, because
of messing up driver codes and changed other things too.
i'll fix it while moving demuxer stuff to new place.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu