[Mplayer-users] Networking with mplayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 18 22:17:04 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > It's planned, read TODO or this maillist...
> >
> > currently as a workaround, you can use TOOLS/cache.c
> > not too perfect, but it worked for me playing divx from NFS-mounted disks,
> > over 10MBit net.
> >
>         How do you use TOOLS/cache.c?  I compiled it but can't find any
> documentation.  :-)

cat file.avi | cache | mpalyer -

but it's very alpha code yet, and doesn't work too well...

> No problem, I thought, I'll just use 'bfr' to buffer ahead a good 10 or
> 20Mb of RAM (the little linux book PC set-top box I use has 256Mb RAM),
> redirect bfr output to a named pipe and have mplayer read from that pipe.
mplayer supports reading from stream (stdin).
but it won't work with named pipe, because it thinks it's a file and tries
to seek in it. use 'mplayer -' to read from stdin, and normal pipe ('|') no
named one.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu