[Mplayer-users] Elementary streams (ES)

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Tue Jul 17 14:00:17 CEST 2001

> but i have a question to you, henning ...
> do you have already a programm for watching divx via DVB-s on TV ???

No, I'm still looking at what's already available and what could be modified
to be used. There is no ready-to-run program that can do the task at the
moment. I have tried ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net) which can read
and write a variety of formats and it looks very promising. However, it
still has problems generating an  MPEG stream that can be understood by the
DVB card and it's not fast enough to do the job in realtime on my PII/333
DVB machine.

Could one of the developers perhaps comment on this: the DVB card has a
built-in MPEG decoder that can AFAIK decode MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 streams. You
cannot feed raw YUV data into it. Consequently, the existing video file
(DivX, ASF, etc.) has to be converted to MPEG2 (MPEG-1 would be ok only for
low-quality input files) on the fly. The easiest way would IMHO be to create
an MPEG-2 stream consisting only of I-frames. What CPU is needed to do this
in real-time (25-30 fps) and can this be done at all?

>From what I have seen so far, MPlayer would be a good solution but since the
DVB card is no "VGA card running at TV-screen resolution" it would probably
break the design of MPlayer?!

BTW, the DVB card has built-in OSD functionality ;-)

Regards,
hh