[Mplayer-users] Elementary streams (ES)

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Tue Jul 17 12:23:11 CEST 2001

Hi,

I just subscribed to this list because I'm looking for a way to play
DivX-encoded files on my DVB card (i.e. convert DivX stream to [I-frame
only] MPEG2 - preferably in realtime - and send it to the DVB card) so
please forgive me if I missed anything discussed here before ;-)

> hmm. it is not so expensive.
> btw i also need the satellite receiver equipment too. i have a very old
> 80cm "antenna", using it for receiving analog radios from Astra.
> i dunno if it's enough for digital data.

80 cm should be enough (you live in Hungary, right?). You just need an LNB
that can handle the digital frequency ranges.

> and which card (hauppage or siemens) is preferred?

It doesn't really matter because the cards are the same. However, there are
currently two board revision, the older one with LNB loop-through and the
newer one without loop-through. There are some minor tuning problems with
the new revision so you might want to try to get the old revision (I think
http://www.dvb-shop.de has them on stock).

> i mean available open register-level docs, linux drivers for capture/send
> streams, control tuner etc.

Just have a look at http://www.linuxtv.org, drivers are available there.
Someone also put a web page together with all documents but I don't think
you need that because a driver is available already.

> i wanna try it, and if it seems to be usable under linux (i can develop
> tools and mplayer support for it) i'll buy one.
> i like this DVB image quality :)

The image quality is very good and since the card has its own TV-out, you
won't lose any quality on the way to your TV screen ;-)

Regards,
hh