[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Wed Jul 11 20:33:48 CEST 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Arpi wrote:

> > Yes! Great idea!!! Gabucino, where you were before?
> > IMHO it's best solution to add --disable-win32 in configure, isn't?
> > (Of course --enable-win32 by default)
> Agree. I've talked about this with LGB 1-2 days ago. He planned to do it.
>
> > So mpg12play can be stopped too.
> It's already stopped.

Well, when disabling Win32 support is available in CVS, I'll dig out a
video card for my Alpha and start working to port Mplayer to Alpha/Linux.

I have a feeling its not going to work, I suspect that much of the code
cobbled together into Mplayer is not 64-bit clean :)

But I'll try to take care of that.

> > For inet toys - maybe. But when I purchase a CDROM with DivX-MSMPEG4
> > movie I have only mp3 stream (at least in my country). So it's no problem for Russia.
> EHh. Where do yoy buy cdroms with divx? why don't you buy dvd if you spend
> money? :)

Well, I dunno about Russia, but I'm in New York City, and I get DivX CD's
all the time in Chinatown. Black market stuff, of course. But I get good
quality movies, some which aren't out yet on DVD or still in theaters,
for $5-10 a piece. About the price of a movie ticket here, and far cheaper
than many DVDs :)

> But for new stuff like divx audio and WMV we still need win32.

Indeed. We'll need win32 for new codecs for quite some time, possibly
forever if Linux doesn't make more inroads into the desktop market. So
I certainly don't like the idea of removing such support completely.

> Btw, what about xanim codec plugin support?

Thats an excellent idea. I was thinking about that the other day,
actually.

Netscape and xanim plugin support would be excellent. Mark Podlipec is
working on a "next generation" version of xanim (tentatively called
xanym or xanym2) which looks interesting.

Though, if I had to vote, I'd say Netscape plugin support would be better
to work on. The main reason being that if, say, Sorenson and Apple are
ever going to put out a Quicktime codec for Linux, I figure they'd do it
as a plugin for Netscape (it avoids having to do GUI support under
Linux, and avoids the bad politics of the KDE/Gnome troubles, plus it
is easier for them to do). If we support Netscape plugins, we get
Flash support right now, and other stuff that I'm probably not even aware
of.

Another idea is some sort of X11/OSS wrapper support. Hijack X11 draws
and pump the images into Mplayer. Mplayer can then consume xanim,
realplayer, or whatever else for output through libvo (automatic Xv
support for legacy apps, matrox output, etc etc).

Of course, we could also just write the frames out to images and dump the
audio to WAV and then reencode Real, Cinepak, etc content to DivX. :)

Also note that Netscape plugin support achieves this last goal in theory
too, because we can use the Plugger plugin (which, IIRC consumes X apps
for use within Netscape).

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)