[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue Jul 10 11:58:05 CEST 2001

Hi, Gabucino!

On 2001-07-09 18:21:03 you wrote:

>It's the Question that drives us, Nick Kurshev :
>> IMHO it's still one reason to remove l3codeca.acm from mplayer same as all
>> win32 stuff in the future, isn't?
>Why do you hate it so much? Did it kill your dog? It should be as optional
>as libavcodec is now. Or I dunno.
Hatred is not correct word in this situation. My personal relationship with M$ don't matter.
Simply mplayer has NATIVE codecs. Those CODECS are much fast of windoz's. NATIVE
codecs are called by default. So question: who needs with it dead goods (from mplayer point,
of course)? Why users should download these large archives when mplayer contains
buildin-OSF-GPL'ed competitors which already win them? Who going to use those codecs?
I never said about removing win32 stuff entire for the now. But in the future - when native
codecs will come in.
For the now I have mpeg1, mpeg2, divx-mpeg4, ac3, mp3 codecs as native.
In general I can remove all win32 support locally on my computer since they
cover all my needs. (Of course sometime mplayer uses divx audio support of which still is
not implemented as open source codecs - but only rare .avis contain such streams)
MPlayer could lost so much unnecessary stuffs: wine, dshow, vfw, ... and be much faster
without emulators.

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-10 09:44:04)