[Mplayer-users] dvd subtitles

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Jul 7 18:58:32 CEST 2001

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 10:44:31AM -0400, Jason Lunz wrote:
> lgb at lgb.hu said:
> > Don't confuse 'external subtitles' (subtitle files generated by
> > various porgrams or men) and 'dvd subtitles'. Subtitle files (many
> > format of them) are supported but DVD subtitles (built in the VOB
> > file) are not supported currently.
>
> is there support for that in the mpeg2 decoder and mplayer doesn't use
> it, or is there just not code to read the subtitles at all? Does anyone
> know whether the subtitles are in the VOB or on some other part of the
> DVD?

There are in the VOB. mplayer can "decode" them with the '-sid <n>'
option but no code present to uncompress image data (yes, they're images)
and display them. For example xine has got DVD subtitle display support.

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!