[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Jul 7 12:36:29 CEST 2001

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:21:39PM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > that driver type. With your patch it is not possible to give that option
> > into config file to TRY to force driver type but not disturb formats which
> > hasn't got codec inside that driver type set. Or something :) I hope I was
> > clear enough but who knows ...
> >
> > > so you can do something like ./mplayer foo.avi -ac mp3acm -vc ffdivx
> >
> > Nice, but as I mentioned above you CAN'T insert these options to your
> > config file!! I didn't want to FORCE a special codec BUT TRY to force
> > a DRIVER TYPE (not codec). You option is usefull but somewhat differs from
> > my goals so I think patches of both of us are usefull and for different
> > things. (It would be usefull to force a dedicated audio/video codec for
> > playing but it would be usefull to try to use codec from a driver family
> > as well. These are not the same!!)
> I know, these switches are of course useless for config file, but if you
> always want to prefer ffmpeg codecs you can simply move them up in codecs.conf
> but we may simply allow bothe methods, so have -ac and -vc and also have -afm
> and -vfm how about that?

No. You may want to test performance of ffmpeg codecs only and you don't want
to edit codecs.conf each time. I wanted to avoid this constant editing with
my new option. You may want to use to test several ffmpeg codecs for a while
on different type of movies (different codecs within ffmpeg codecs "familiy").
So it's simple to put a vcodec=5 line into your config file and you needn't
worry about playing movies can't handled by ffmpeg codecs because mplayer
would fall back other type of codecs in this way and so on.

Maybe I'm wrong but imho now there is NO option to select codec driver
FAMILY (not an individual codec, a set of codecs belong to the same driver
type). For testing purposes I will keep my modification (though I'm not sure
to mix it with your patch and commit or not) because it's much more easy to
test several things in this way (dshow/nodshow switches were similar to my
option but those were able to select between dshow/nodshow codecs only.
I want to extend this to any type with -vcodec).

Well, this is not a flame thread though it begins to become that :)

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!