[Mplayer-users] i got a problem

dougal kennedy dougalkennedy at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 2 09:56:12 CEST 2001

   Hi, my name is dougal and i am using mplayer for
part of a  computer controlled multimedia display
system (detailed system info at the end). I am using
the mplayer program to assist in displaying videos
(due to its excellent cpu usage among other things).
As such i sometimes require mplayer to play more than
one video at once. However, when it tries to do this,
i get the OSD on both screens flickering. I am using
the xv drivers, and tried increasing the number of
buffers used up to 2 then upto 8 (in vo_xv.c as
advised in the FAQ page) to no avail. Some interesting
things i have noticed about this problem are:
*if one mplayer is started, and hidden from view (eg
behind another unrelated window) and then the second
one is started, then the second one will play normally
until the first one is brought into view again. This
leads me to believe there is some kind of shared
buffer problem. However, my c and c++ is very weak (i
am doing my thingy mainly in java) and was wondering
if anyone else had this problem and whether they have
any ideas on how i could fix it??
Thanking you in advance.
Dougal Kennedy
ps i also have an intermitent problem, which i could
not repeat with your tests to give you output files,
however it basically goes something like this:
the file will finish and mplayer will appear to exit
normally like so:
[dkennedy at rowlf dkennedy]$ mplayer
devel/res/LegoRacers.mpg

MPlayer 0.17a-IdegCounter  (C) 2000-2001 Arpad
Gereoffy <arpi at thot.banki.hu>

Reading config file: /etc/mplayer.conf: No such file
or directory
Reading config file: /home/dkennedy/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/dkennedy/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 15 audio
& 26 video codecs
font: can't open file:
/home/dkennedy/.mplayer/font/font.desc
==> Found video stream: 0
Detected MPEG-PS file format!
==> Found audio stream: 0
mpeg2dec-0.2.0-release (C) 2000-2001 Aaron Holtzman &
Michel Lespinasse
Using MMX for IDCT transform
Using MMX for motion compensation
VIDEO:  MPEG1  320x240  (aspect 1)  30.00 fps  1198.5
kbps (149.8 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:2  fourcc:0x1  size:320x240  fps:30.00
ftime:=0.0333
Found audio codec: [mp3] drv:1 (MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
mp3lib: Processor ID: 665
mp3lib: i586 processor detected.
AUDIO: samplerate=44100  channels=2  bps=2
Found video codec: [mpeg12] drv:1 (MPEG 1 or 2)
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240  YV12
Got the display :0 and num_buf=2
Xvideo image format: 0x32595559 (YUY2) packed
Xvideo image format: 0x32315659 (YV12) planar
Xvideo image format: 0x30323449 (I420) planar
Xvideo image format: 0x59565955 (UYVY) packed
using Xvideo port 42 for hw scaling
[xv] dcx: 0 dcy: 0 dx: 0 dy: 0 dw: 320 dh: 240
Audio buffer size: 0 bytes, delay: 0.000s
Start playing...
[xv] dcx: 0 dcy: 0 dx: 0 dy: 0 dw: 320 dh: 240
A:  49.6  V:  49.6  A-V:  0.014  ct: -0.011  1481  11%
  0%  1.7%
Exiting... (End of file)
However, it never returns to the command line prompt,
and when i do a ps axf on it, i get told mplayer is an
RW process (ie it is on the run que,but has no
resident pages). I have stopped this problem with the
very dodgy method of doing a
kill(getpid(),SIGKILL); every time when it exits (i
told you my c knowledge is fairly sketchy, and it was
the best i could do), but i am sure there is a better
solution.

pps here is the info that u will need (hopefully it is
all there)
What?
=====

1. The system info what we always want:
- linux distribution
     RedHat 7.1

- kernel version:
     Linux 2.4.2-2 i686

- libc version:
     -rwxr-xr-x    2 root     root      1236396 Apr  7
07:58 /lib/libc-2.2.2.so
     lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jun  7
23:36 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.2.so

- X version:
     XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window System
     (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release
6400)
     Release Date: 16 March 2001

- gcc and ld version:
  gcc -v = Thread model: single
           gcc version 3.0
  ld -v = GNU ld version 2.10.91 (with BFD
2.10.91.0.2)

- binutils version:
  GNU assembler 2.10.91

2. Hardware & drivers:
- CPU info:
   processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 6
model name	: Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping	: 5
cpu MHz		: 467.739
cache size	: 128 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips	: 933.88

- video card manufacturer and model
  examples:
    nVidia TNT2 Ultra pro 32MB SDRAM (i think?)

- video driver type&version
  examples:
    X built-in driver (i think?)

- sound card type & driver
  AC97 codec soundcard with 4Kb buffer (built into the
mother board).
- lspci -v was not a known comman on my system

The output from the first player will be in
mplayer1.log and from the second player (which was
started second as u may guess) in mplayer2.log

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!