[MPlayer-users] Building for multiple processors/machines from one source tree

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 31 01:59:45 CET 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Is there an easy way to build for multiple processors/machines using
> one (nfs shared) cvs-updatable source tree?  I have several machines I
> build Mplayer for and not having to keep multiple copies of the source
> tree or making hard-link shadows of it would be nice.

	I have the same situation with my PPC mounting my home directory
on my main x86 box via NFS. I have to maintain a projects/mplayer-ppc
directory and a projects/mplayer-x86 directory. It isn't a huge deal,
mainly because I just update the PPC's snapshot periodically to make sure
MPlayer still builds. Generally, I can't imagine it being a major hassle
unless you do a lot of development on individual platforms concurrently.

> I seem to recall that gnu autoconf has/had this feature.  Due to
> Mplayers deep dependence on being built on the hardware it will be run
> on, this would be a much nice feature.

	Well, I suppose we could browse through the autoconf material and
see what macros we could borrow. Bear in mind that MPlayer doesn't use
autoconf or automake. The configure script is custom-built.

--
	-Mike Melanson