[MPlayer-users] libdvdcss and libdvdread issues

Michael Hunold m.hunold at gmx.de
Thu Dec 27 09:56:05 CET 2001

Hello Gabucino,

thanks for your answer.

>>For css decryption and dvd access, I'm currently using libdvdcss 1.0.0
>>
> According to cd-dvd.html, you should never use libdvdcss 1.0.0 with mplayer
> because it will be unusably slow.

Hmm, I cannot confirm that. Perhaps I should make some things clear here:

For me, libdvdcss 1.0.0 performs better on cracking most dvds I have
than libdvdcss 0.0.3 -- but of course YMMV. Both work in conjunction
with libdvdread 0.9.2.

To say it once again: Both version basically work, but both libdvdcss
0.0.3 and libdvdcss 1.0.0 have issues with title keys from different
dvds -- at least on the german "Shrek" DVD they both fail to crack
different keys. 8-(

But only libdvdcss 1.0.0 has the ability to use player keys (eg. a key
ripped from a Windoze DVD player) and thus it should be able to decode
the title keys instantly by calculating it, not by cracking it.

You can get a list with all player keys from
http://www.dvdpimp.f2s.com
and path libdvdcss to use one of it.

But as I already said -- something does not work there.

CU
Michael.