[MPlayer-users] Movie-Aspect problems

Peter Magnusson iocc at flashdance.cx
Thu Dec 27 21:27:57 CET 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Arpi wrote:

> grep != read
> i didn't say GTFM, but RTFM

Well.. ok..

> > Ok, and xv didnt work on this laptop. Hope it will work on my matrox G200
> > that i have at home.
> yes, or use mga_vid for g200.

Ok. mga_vid, will it be better than xv?

> btw you can use slow software scaling (-zoom option) for x11.

Yes, im already using that. No difference if i dont (on musicvideos).

> it come from design.
> demuxer layer set up requested aspect ratio.
> and video out driver may use or may ignore it. x11 ignore. xv use.

So its impossible to fix this? You dont have any plans to redesign it?
I think it will help many people around the globe. Not just me.

> > I dont matter i black border around the movie like in the old MpegTV
> > program. Its better than how it will be now with x11. So i think that an
> > option to turn that off would be great. Or even better, it should not try
> -noaspect. rtfm again.

I didnt see it in mplayer -h, why isnt it there?
Hmm.. now i see "* * * SEE MANPAGE FOR DETAILS, FURTHER (ADVANCED) OPTIONS
AND KEYS ! * * *" ... i think it would be better if all was written so they
show up when u just write mplayer. Its seldom that there exist options that
a program doesnt show directly. So i never looked for that.

However, it didnt help at all :(

> > to do like that in x11 driver mode. I CANT use anything else on this
> -vo sdl

I get sound but a black picture.

An other thing:

Cant u document ~/.mplayer/config so people know how the syntax would be
in the file and what can be written in it. I had no idea, i had to ask on
irc... And yes i did RTFM and i didnt find it.