[MPlayer-users] Re: mga_vid install doc

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Wed Dec 26 02:01:42 CET 2001

Dariusz Pietrzak <dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl> wrote:

>> Umm, DON'T use the thins in /usr/src/linux. For example, I dont have
>> And: Don't assume the version sitting in /usr/src/linux is the version

> that's the way it's done compiling mga_vid so it makes sense to use
> the same way when installing.

Then it makes sense to improve the install routine of both modules than
using a broken by design install routine.

>> MDIR = /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

> and this way, when you're running on 2.4.16, and just compiled 2.4.17,
> and made mga_vid for it, you'll end up with driver installed to
> /lib/modules/2.4.16/misc.

Well, bad luck then. Rerun install after booting the new kernel and
everything will be fine.

Grepping a file/directory, which in many cases is not availible, is just
plain nonsense, in my opinion.

> This grepping may be ugly and stupid but it at least tries to stay
> consistend with mga_vid building process.

It my be consistent, but then both are broken and need to be fixed.

S°