[MPlayer-users] GUI vs CLUI or Do you really watch movies in windowed mode ?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Dec 19 22:15:29 CET 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:46:48PM +0000, Alban Bedel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just want to know why is the GUI so important. I said this because many
> ppl complain about it. Personally I allways watch my movies in fullscreen
> so what will I do with GUI. Wait for it, browse throw dialog box and clik play
> when I can just type my filename in 1 and half seconds using the bash tab
> completion and then press enter ? And in fullscreen I simply can't see anything
> else than the movie. So what for ????

Dunno, I'm happy with my console, I even didn't use X except for browsing
web where images are important. '-vo mga' rules 4ever.

> PS : Please note that I've never try it, but I'd like to know why ppl use the GUI

Some people uses strange distributions (well, I don't want to name them) where
you needn't see a single terminal window or console ... They don't know anything
about a prompt like 'lgb at oxygene:~$' (questions: what is this garbage of
characters?). And so. However you're right, GUI is not too important for
an advanced UNIX user. However there are people nowdays without almost
any knowledge of UNIX/Linux using overcomfortabled (well, is there such a
word in English in this form? ;-) distributions.

- Gabor