[MPlayer-users] GUI vs CLUI or Do you really watch movies in windowed mode ?

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Wed Dec 19 21:22:19 CET 2001

On Dec 19, at 09:46 PM, Alban Bedel wrote:

> I just want to know why is the GUI so important. I said this because many
> ppl complain about it. Personally I allways watch my movies in fullscreen
> so what will I do with GUI. Wait for it, browse throw dialog box and clik play
> when I can just type my filename in 1 and half seconds using the bash tab
> completion and then press enter ? And in fullscreen I simply can't see anything
> else than the movie. So what for ????

That's fine for you and your use, but...

> PS : Please note that I've never try it, but I'd like to know why ppl use the GUI

...it may eventually be robust enough to take MPlayer from a "plugin" or
"command line" type of app to a "self-supporting" sort of app. It also
makes MPlayer easier to use in that the user doesn't have to memorise the
keys to do whatever, the functionalities will have a visual interface.

That's all. It has no huge importance in and of itself. It could just
as well be a curses interface.

> 	Albeu

Just my opinion, of course.
Dave