[MPlayer-users] LinuxWorld => "MPlayer: The project from hell"

Robos robos at geekmail.de
Tue Dec 18 01:12:52 CET 2001

On Mon, 17.12.01, Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Robos wrote:
>
> > Simply wanted to tell you that mplayer is great (for still being in
> > development) and that this Joe Barr _OBVIOUSLY_ can't read...
> > So, don't be too hard to that poor bugger.
> > Robos
> > P.s.: I nevertheless have to write something to that guy, __you__maybe__too__?!
>
> 	Yeah, I think I will write...that he is 100% correct in every one
> of his observations...:)

Um, I just wrote him that most of his observations are false: -the gui
is still no native part of mplayer, true? (He had most of his probs
with that)
- debian unstable (being damn up-to-date) uses still 2.95.xx and 3.xx
and NOT 2.96.xx, somehow this means something I'd say...
- the ./install.sh thing he mentions just got cleared by A'rpi to
concern the divx4linux package rather than dvd stuff
-copying the config skript would wipe _my_ config skript every time I
get a new cvs version, hmm yum, fun...
-enabling features that are really alpha via --enable_foo is good I'd
say for most of the ppl, since then they have to read in advance
*snigger*
BTW, I installed mplayer multiple times on several machines and had no
probs, and I'm absolutely positively no master of linux...(but I _can_
read contrary to most ppl I'd say)

>Don't get me wrong, I like MPlayer as well, but
> for different reasons than most users. But I'm confident that we will
> eventually bring MPlayer up to a more generally-usable level. Maybe
> MPlayer should have a big banner on its main web page that reads:
>
> "WARNING: MPLAYER IS STILL ALPHA-LEVEL SOFTWARE!"
That functions nearly flawlessly with me, kinda good alpha stuff then ;-)
WARNING: Windows is still alpha-software, but nevertheless we like to
get your thousand bucks, thank you very much

> :)
>
> 	-Mike Melanson
Robos