[MPlayer-users] Windows binary available yet?

Lasse Kärkkäinen / Tronic tronic2 at sci.fi
Sat Dec 15 03:37:45 CET 2001

G> Yesss, use WMP ! Lose subtitles in fullscreen, gain ability to play 1 (one!)
G> type of subtitle only in window mode, in a black bar under movie! Yeeah!
G> Behold the Power of Micr0$oft !!

With DivXG400 you'll get customizable subtitles, which can use that
black space under widescreen movie (and of course you can position
subtitles on the picture too). It can also automatically crop too
wide or too tall movies to fit your screen better (user-definable
minimum percentage of screen width/height for movie).

http://www.tac.ee/~prr/videoutils/divxg400.html

G> Use WMP ! For MPEG2, install another (DVD) player for the codec to be
G> installed!

That sucks. Free MPEG2-codec would be nice..

G> Use WMP ! Lose dynamic postprocessing ! But you'll have 80% free CPU, yesss! ;)

What's dynamic post-processing? Dynamically controlling post-processing
level? No need for that, I'll just take the maximum.

G> Use WMP ! Rely on Windows' stability !

Never had halt/crash while watching AVI-movie. Had plenty of crashes
elsewhere, though. PowerDVD is one example of very unstable program
(on my system, at least).

G> Use WMP ! Install a whole AVI editing kit, at least 5 additional utilities, and
G> you can play all your files !

Wrong. Get w32codec-*.zip (yes, the MPlayer file, which is not supposed
to work on Winblows), extract all codecs to c:\windows\system\ and use
regsvr32 to install those.

G> Use WMP ! Enjoy the randomly disappearing audio codecs from the codec window !

None missing here. Have you been using WMP 7.0+?

G> Use WMP ! You get (MUST) the newest M$ Explorer !

I do have WMP 6.4 without any version of M$ Internet Explorer (I do
have Windows Explorer and Intellimouse Explorer though). Using Mozilla
here.

G> Use WMP ! Disgusting (MP64) or oversimplified (MP7) GUI !

The GUI is not perfect, but it does its job and I prefer watching
movies instead of the GUI anyway.

G> Use WMP ! You don't have to (CAN'T) display file properties, like resolution !

VirtualDub can suit my editing/tweaking needs. My eyes can detect the
resolution (no need to be exact there).

G> Use WMP ! You can't keep a file open in VirtualDub and view it in WMP, thanks
G> to wonderful Windoze file-locking !

Program writers may freely choose which share-mode they want to use;
that is a good thing (if program writers know proper share-modes to
use; Microsoft and Avery Lee seem to know).

Windows/DOS share-modes are:
Deny None - allow other programs to read or write the file
Deny Write - allow other programs to read, but not write.
Deny Read - allow other programs to write, but not read (this is
            completely useless)
Deny Both - deny all access from other programs

When only reading only, Deny None should be used. This way other
programs can open the file (of course the other program can't deny
reading, because the first program is already reading it).

AFAIK the file locking in Linux works exactly the same way.

Back to your "problem"..

I can easily open file in VirtualDub and then open the same file in
WMP 6.4. No problems there. Actually I can even open another copy of
VirtualDub and play the movie in all of those.

Actually I could also drag one or more of those windows to my secondary
monitor and watch it there..

Can you do this in Linux? Nope, on this box it's not possible to play
even one movie without the sound skipping (thanks to that piece of shit
Aureal driver).

Anyway, if you want to see "Babylon 5: In The Beginning" playing in
three seperate windows, have a look at this "capture":
http://solidhardware.com/sn/r8500/threevid.avi (1 Mio, DivX4/MP3)