[MPlayer-users] DVD problems with mplayer

Peter Lemken plemken at gmx.de
Thu Dec 13 12:32:18 CET 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 11:19, pl wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:22:17AM +0100, Peter Lemken wrote:
>
> > Oh, BTW, is HD-access a "normal" thing while watching a DVD? I find that
> > these constant HD-accesses tend to worsen my sound output. I assume that
> > something uses caching onto the HD and I'd like to stop that, assuming
> > that my system is fast enough and the DVDs clean enough to handle the
> > constant data stream from DVD without caching.
>
> Hmmm... weird.
> Is this real access to your HD or just your HD LED that blinks ?

Yes it is really permanently accessing the HDD, I can hear that, and
also hear the difference when I pause a movie and restart it. For a
couple of seconds it does not access the HDD after that and the sound
ist crystal clear.

I already checked the parameters of the controller and included a tiny
script in rc.local that sets DMA and 32bit transfer enabled for all the
storage devices at boot time.

My hardware:

K7VTA3-133 Mainboard with VIA KT233 chipset
AMD Athlon @ 1 Ghz, 512MB DDRAM
generic Geforce 2 MX400, 64MB RAM
HDD=40GB Maxtor UDMA 100
CDRW Ricoh as master
ASUS DVD E616 as slave

Any ideas?

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--
"Does your computer ever crash?"
	"Oh definitely, believe me. We want to make a tool that we can use