[MPlayer-users] DVD problems with mplayer

Peter Lemken plemken at gmx.de
Thu Dec 13 02:22:17 CET 2001

Howdy folks,

Since last week it seems I have a problem with my setup, since I cannot
play encrypted DVDs anymore, and unencrypted ones only with abnormal use
of CPU-power and sound glitches. Constant access to my HD makes watching
a movie impossible.

An encrypted DVD starts up normally, reading the disc structure just
fine etc. Once the movie window comes up, however, it starts creeping
along at 1 frame every two seconds or so.

I have tried three or four different versions compiled from CVS;
actually the first time I had problems with mplayer was with a version
that previously played DVDs just fine, so it has to do something with
the rest of my OS in conjunction with MPlayer.

I recently "upgraded" from Debian testing to unstable and the rest of
the systems works just fine, including encrypted DVD support from Ogle,
DivX with mplayer etc., It's just MPlayer and DVD that does not yield
the desired results.

Would anyone know where to start looking for the glitches that I
encounter? I really would love to use MPlayer for DVD, simply for its
great keyboard control, the lack of which I find appalling in ogle.

Oh, BTW, is HD-access a "normal" thing while watching a DVD? I find that
these constant HD-accesses tend to worsen my sound output. I assume that
something uses caching onto the HD and I'd like to stop that, assuming
that my system is fast enough and the DVDs clean enough to handle the
constant data stream from DVD without caching.

Any ideas?

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--
"Does your computer ever crash?"
	"Oh definitely, believe me. We want to make a tool that we can use