[MPlayer-users] Radeon TVOut working HOWTO

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Dec 12 17:52:17 CET 2001

Hello, Korey!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:14:40 -0600 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Not sure what is being implied here.... either that I did not read the
> docs pertaining to this subject and spent many hours doing something
> that was already documented which is not true. Or, a harmless
> "automatic" response.
What is not true - that VESA supports TV-out on radeon VE?
I have Radeon VE - I know what I wrote.
> > > Folks, last week I got TVOut working with my Radeon VE. Playback is
> > > incredibly good thanks to the mplayer bunch and company. I have  a
> web
> > > page up explaining how I got it going.
> > >
> > > Hope it helps someone.....took me about a week to bring it all
> together.
> > > ;)
> > >
> > > http://204.26.80.212:8000/cgi-bin/RadeonTV.cgi
> > >
> > You'll get noticeably best performance if you'll use VESA and
> radeon_vid ;)
> Thanks for the suggestion, but performance is outstanding as is. Maybe
> if I get a few extra hours to burn I'll play around with it.
> :)
> Usually RTFM gives better results than WTFAQ :)
>
> Problem was, "RTFM" didn't give better results (neither in time spent or
> end result) in this case. I "WTFAQ" to help others solve this problem if
> they encounter it.

If you have working TV-out with GATOS project - it's good news! But for
non-x86 users only.
But for every x86 users -vo vesa:lvo:/dev/radeon_vid is better solution
as from performance point (I develop this driver and I know what I'm writing ;)
same as from point of memory usage, number of simulatenously running processes(X11
eats memory and CPU cycles) and just as facility to run mplayer from text mode.