[MPlayer-users] bugreport: mencoder segfaults

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Dec 10 20:22:16 CET 2001

Hi,

> It's the Question that drives us, Bastian :
> > it is random.
> Then it's the hardware.
Agree

> > i know this is a hardware intensive process but i never had any problems so
> > far
> Now you have :)
Agree.

I can accept some renaom crash for mplayer, as it does depend on
environmental things and time (soundcard, timers, vga etc)

But mencoder is simple, linear application, each run of it is the same,
all bits of resulting file will be the same. if it randomly crashes, it
must be hardware related. bad hdd (i mean bus errors between disk and
controller, usual with high-speed dma stuff), bad memory (very common,
especially if you have different modules in your MB), bad cpu (i've seen
broken k6 cpu some months ago, everything worked very well but notepad.exe
crashed, even not randomly. after about 3 reinstall for windows we replaced
cpu and problem disappeared... no one thought it's cpu failure but it was.)
or simply bad day :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu