[MPlayer-users] green screen

Nilmoni Deb ndeb at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 8 19:02:15 CET 2001

One thing to note here is that savage4 (device id 8a22) and prosavage km133
(device id 8a26) are two different video cards even though the prosavage km133
has a savage4 core and Xconfigurator identifies it as savage 4 sometimes.
Both X-4.0.3 and X-4.1.0 have savage drivers that make the s3 prosavage
km133 go into hard lockup. As per the XFree86 savage driver site of Tim
Roberts (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) this problem was fixed
in late X-4.1.0 (see http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html#history)
with driver version 1.1.18.

Basically, the prosavage km133 will *not* work unless the driver version
>= 1.1.18 is used with XFree86-4.1.0 (not XFree86-4.0.3).

I suggest the mplayer manuals be updated accordingly and a link provided
to Tim Roberts' site.

Regarding green screen problem with xvideo at color depth 24, I have faced
this sporadically and only when running opera browser (which also has been
known to cause trouble with the driver as per Tim Roberts' page).
In any case, 16bpp is always worth a try if it eliminates the green screen
problem.

thanks
- Nil

> xvideo). A screen of colored patterns (mostly green/cyan) and sound.

TFM says    S3 Savage3D's should work fine, but for Savage4, use XFree86
version 4.0.3 or greater (in case of image problems, try 16bpp).
Gabucino